- INDIAN Rummy is usually a game with- 2 DECKS with 2 JOKERS/ WILDCARDS in total.
- The cards are of the four suits in ascending order of importance:
- Cards from low to high-
- Ace, 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9, Jack, Queen & King.
- Ace is special and can combine at the end with King too in sequence:
- Ace,2,3,4… is valid.
- Ace, King, Queen, is also valid.
- Face cards are 10pts- A, K, Q, J. The rest are respective values.
- Ace used as both 1 value & Face card when forming sets.
- Rummy, in essence, is a game played between 2 to 6 players, where each player has to, in turn, draw & discard one card until the 13 cards dealt initially forms a sequence in sets. (Explained in detail later).
A single deck of cards consists of 52 cards and two (2) printed Joker/ Wildcard.
- 52 cards are- 4 sets of 13 cards from 2 to 10 and other face value cards like A, K, Q, J in 4 different suits:
- Joker/Wildcard is used as a substitute for any card of player's choice.
- Value- Each card represents itself in value-
- 2 => 2 (two) in values as points
- 10 => 10 (ten) in values as points
- 7 => 7 (seven) in values as points
- Face cards are all valued at 10 points
- A, K, Q, K => 10=> 10 (ten) in values as points
- The Joker is ‘Zero’ points.
- Each player is dealt 13 cards each, in random, as their hand.
- The aim of rummy game is to improve one’s hand by picking and discarding cards on each player’s turn.
- A good hand is when the cards are grouped in the chains of a proper - sequence of cards; such that the total of 13 cards in hand has zero points of value. i.e., cards are all in groups.
- After 13 cards are dealt to players, the rest of the cards are grouped together face down as closed deck.
- Players take cards from this deck in their turns.
- Below the closed deck the random wildcard is placed
- Wildcard: in addition to the printed Joker / Wild card another random card is selected as a wild card and thus the number of wild cards in a deck is increased.
If 9 (diamond) is selected as the wildcard, all the cards of 9 value becomes the wild card =>
So in addition to two printed Jokers, there are the 4 more wild cards in a single deck. (6 in total)
- Players exchange cards with ones in their hand and the closed deck. The cards discarded are accumulated in the open deck.
- In a player’s turn, a player can either pick a card from the closed or open deck, but cards are always discarded onto the open deck.
- The rummy game is represented online by replacing a real game table with a virtual table, with seats represented by icons / avatar.
- Open a deck & close deck and also the main player’s cards are placed on this table for easy viewing.
- Opponents are shown as named avatars. Their hands are of course not visible.
- The player can interact with is carded by clicking and selecting them. He can also drag the cards to desired positions.
SEQUENCE & SET:
- The purpose of Rummy is to complete a hand with all cards formed into sets or/and sequence.
- Sequence is comprised of 3 or more cards of the same suit and in consecutive order:
- A set is formed of 3 or 4 cards of the same rank but different suit
- 2 sequences are a must for a valid hand.
- Players cannot have a hand entirely of sets. There must be at least 2 sequences.
- If the sequence is formed with a wildcard, one of the other sequences in hand must be natural or pure without Joker /Wildcard.
- 1st –Make a pure sequence
- 2nd- additional sequence with joker or otherwise
- 3rd- Arrange other cards as sequence or sets.